Monday, March 21, 2011

Do Your Best, Then Trust in the Lord

Wow your week has been pretty crazy! I'M SO EXCITED THAT C. GETS TO PUT HIS PAPERS IN. HOLY COW!!!! SO EXCITED!

None of the miracles that I have experienced in my life or witnessed in the lives of others would have been possible without the atonement. IT is amazing that the spirit of the Lord working within someone can truly help them do their best. That is what being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is all about. Doing what is best. Karl G. Maeser said, "Always be yourself, but always be your better self!" Christ was always doing what was best. That's why he wasn't just good, but perfect.

On my mission I have seen the people who claim to be trying so hard, and I have seen the people who are trying so hard. Sometimes when we feel like we are trying so hard and not making any headway it is made known to us by Heavenly Father. He reveals our weakness that we can be humble and remember to rely on him (Ether 12:27). Some people make relying on Christ and Heavenly Father a passive thing -  they just let God do all the work. They don't need to study, don't need to keep the commandments, don't need to go to church... But I don't think that it is supposed to be that way. I firmly believe that we should be working hard to come closer to God. How can you rely upon that which you don't have? I've met hundreds of people and I believe that there are millions out there who believe in Christ, but do not know Christ. They have not experienced the sweet peace that His atonement and Gospel can bring into there lives... There are countless more who have become content with that portion that they have had in their lives and they just hold to that small portion, relying upon it, instead of relying upon the endless and eternal portion that comes through a living, growing faith in our Savior. This being said, there are some who seek and crave a greater portion "but know not where to find it." The beauty of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ as it exists on this earth, within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, is that we can live our lives, however busy they may be, and still come closer to Christ as we live His teachings and serve one another. I pray that any sincere seeker of truth will ask God in a heartfelt prayer, in the name of Christ, if the LDS church is his one true church upon the face of the earth. I know that anyone who really tries, and relies on God for their answer and not on their own understanding (Proverbs 3:5-6) will receive an answer. I've experienced it, and so have millions of others. It's a bold question. And you will receive a direct answer by the power of the Holy Ghost.

.... Stepping off the soap box.

Ok. Well My week has been pretty wonderful. We were able to teach quite a few lessons and our investigators are all still on date.

THIS IS THE MOST FRIGHTENING PART OF MISSIONARY WORK... The week before the baptism. Satan is working harder than ever in each of these investigators' lives to try to stop them before they can make this critical commitment with Heavenly Father. I've never had more than one person getting baptized at once before, so this is like stress times five. I have faith though. I know that this is Heavenly Father's work and that He won't let Satan jack it up. I know that he will provide the investigators, members, and missionaries involved with all the strength that they need. It is His work.

Sorry I don't write too much about my investigators or about their progress. I guess sometimes I just feel like it's counting my chickens before they hatch??? Idk, I guess I just don't like to build peoples hopes up, my own included, only to have them falter.

But I am so excited. Do you remember that one young man, W. N. - M.'s older brother - who I invited to be baptized at his little sister's baptism? WELL HE IS GETTING BAPTIZED TOO!!! THIS SATURDAY!!! I'm so psyched for him.

I know what you mean mom when you were talking about how Satan really tries to wail on us the harder we try. He isn't just trying to make us sin, that's not enough to keep us from receiving eternal life, we can bounce back from sin. He is trying to take our legs out. He is trying to break us down so that we can't continue. He is trying to get us to stop trying. This whole agency is really a battle of the wills. Will you choose God or Satan?

It has been amazing serving in the Samoan wards. My Samoan might not be the greatest but I have picked up a little and I understand more and more each week. I love the work here. My biggest fears right now, wait, no. MY BIGGEST HOPES RIGHT NOW ARE: All of the people on date; L., S., R., B., B. and W. will get baptized. And that we will be able to start teaching a few of the hundreds of people that are going to be at this baptism. Seriously it is going to be standing room only in the Relief Society room, and we will have to hold the meeting in the chapel! Then there is gonna be a shindig after.

I will take my camera, and take lots of photos. Like WAY too many photos.

I feel bad because I haven't written the people I've been meaning to write for weeks now... But I've been busy busy....

I am trying my best to be a good trainer. And I don't think I'm doing too bad. I love my companion! So that is wonderful! And I am trying to keep the rules! And I let him teach every time I can remind myself to shut up. :) But really. I think it's going good. Satan will always work hardest on the Trainer though... because he knows what happens if he can break the trainer... But I have seen amazing missionaries come from Terrible trainers. It really is all in your own will. If your trainer is TERRIBLE, like breaking commandments, then make sure you let your mission president know. Because if you don't, it will drag you down. At the same time just remember that your companion is hopefully doing his best, so love him and encourage him, and work together to be your better-selves. I am amazed at what people can accomplish when they have the Lord helping them as they are truly doing their best. A mission is all about doing your best, and trusting in the Lord to make up the rest. I do know that my trainer did his best and that is why I love him so much! Deep inside every missionary, hopefully not too deep, is a part that sincerely, truly, just wants to serve his Savior and Father.

Well I'm out of time. I love you all. Take Care. Excuse my Typo's.

Love,

Elder Britton Winterrose.

No comments:

Post a Comment