Monday, December 5, 2011

Hello Everyone!

Well this week was an interesting one. We had high hopes for the work this week but it seems mother nature had other plans. We had some oddly warm weather/ freezing rain, so the roads became especially hazardous. We had to work restricted proselyting hours this week. Couldn't leave till like 1 pm or so and then had to be back in the apartment by 5 or 6. It makes it turn into a very long week.

It's strange how every time I arrive back to Monday the entire week prior seems like a blur. It just turned out to be a really strange week haha. OH like on Sunday church was canceled because of the ice... and only in our stake, not Anchorage North or Anchorage. When I heard I was like "What?!? This is ALASKA!!!"  My next thought was "I haven't missed church in like two years and I'm not about to start today." I called President and he gave us permission to go to church in Anchorage... so we went to the Dimond Samoan Ward. It was awesome to see so many old friends. Elder Tyler Williams is serving there right now too so it was cool to get to see him. I also got to see C. J., a man who was baptised shortly after I left. It was neat to get to see him. Tons of the members didn't recognize me because I'm not fat like I was.... funny thing is though - I didn't think I was that fat. :) I would like say Hi to someone and then they would be like Hi.... OH HI!!! ROSAMALULU!!!!  I love that ward.

We also got to teach a primary class of like 12 kids ages 8-7 and a few random youngins. It was funny, and totally random. We talked about doing unto others. I sang the song "Love one Another" and the kids went silent. And I used that one "My hands upon my head I place..." to get them to fold their arms and sit down. They were so excited to have the missionaries teaching their class. I love teaching little kids because if you can find the peace and serenity within your own heart and get them to quiet down a little... then when you bear testimony they feel it, and you feel it. It is wonderful. They are so willing to learn and be enthused. They didn't have sharing time so we had to teach them the whole hour. ONE hour without candy.... cause it was fast Sunday. We taught the lesson for as long as their little attention spans could handle it for and then we did a bunch of little magic tricks. TRICKS are awesome for children. Elder Williams even did the one where he licks his eye ball. The kids were so excited/grossed out! It was way funny. You literally have to have something planned for every minute of class though. One slip and you loose control of the group and have to reset, review and restart. It was a blast though. We didn't get to watch the fireside but I will probably download it or have a member do it for me and burn it to a cd for me.
I am genuinely impressed that Channing won a cleanliness award! That's awesome! Haha who of thunk.

Well you asked what I do as a district leader, why I didn't mention it, and if I am enjoying it. Well my main responsibility is to plan and conduct district meetings once weekly, oversee the coordination of Mormon.org/Family Search training, and to ensure the physical and spiritual well being of the missionaries in my district, BASICALLY - I get to have fun with the people in my district and we (hopefully) learn and grow together.  I didn't mention it and never planned on mentioning it because I don't think it is a big deal. Too many missionaries focus so much on aspiring to positions of leadership and my feeling has always been "Be the best you can be, and when called, Serve!" I also didn't want my brothers to know and desire to serve or feel disappointed or inadequate if they never served in leadership. Focus on being a missionary. Being a true disciple of Christ. It is a wonderful opportunity, and I hope that I may magnify my calling according to the will of the Lord. I really enjoy being a district leader mostly because of the way my heart grows and how it reminds me that I am an example and need to constantly strive to serve with exact obedience. It is neat to get to know the missionaries too. Elder Lee and Elder Hansen - the ZL's are in my district along with Sister Chan and Sister Davis. They are an awesome bunch. It is different than when I served as a DL in the MTC though. We don't conduct interviews with missionaries like we did in the MTC and that was one of my favorite parts. It was always really humbling, and invoked charity for my fellow elders deep within my heart. The single most important thing is to put your whole heart into it. You cannot withhold your heart and expect others to open up, or feel your love for them. It is scary to put your heart out there, to let yourself show love and develop deep love, desire, and concern for others. Occasionally your heart will get broken its true, but Heavenly Father can and will always mend it. The best part - as your heart begins to include more people, it grows! It expands and brings joy and happiness. You can rejoice with those you love in their successes and you begin to feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude to Heavenly Father for the blessing of being able to serve those you love, and love those you serve.

I love my mission. I love the opportunities I have had and the way that my heart has grown, been crushed, and been healed.... and every time become stronger and stronger. Tender Mercies abound on the mission. If you believe that God can do anything and then conduct yourself, relying on Him to make up the distance... He will deliver and miracles will abound. "I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say ye have no promise." I have found that the more willing I am to try anything the Lord will ask me to do, regardless if it seems possible or not, that He in turn blesses me with more opportunities to exercise faith and witness miracles. TRUE MIRACLES. Not some shabby coincidence; but the true, profound, spiritually witnessed miracles - same as occurred during the earthly ministry of the Savior, performed under the same power of the Priesthood faithfully wielded by those worthy bearers who press forward into the waters of the rivers of doubt, and then stand steadfast as the water divides, and then in the shadow of the growing fears and doubt, cross this Jordan on dry land.  See Joshua!

I love being a missionary. I love the opportunities I have had to witness the power of the Lord and press forward into the midst of the rushing waters and watch as even in the midst of so much opposition the work of the Lord moves forward unhindered.

...just love Proverbs 3:5-6

Joshua 1:9  Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Faith, Hope, Charity and Love; with an Eye single to the glory of God.
 
I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elder Britton Winterrose

No comments:

Post a Comment