Monday, July 19, 2010

Six New Investigators (and Fishing too)

So, First Item of Business...

Last Saturday I helped a bunch of the families in our branch fish for the kids derby. It's a fishing tournament for kids under the age of 14, and guess what! I caught the winning fish in a division and the 2nd and 3rd place fish in two others! Well, I at least hooked the fish, and let the kids reel them in. It's pretty sweet, cause they have some awesome prizes, like they were giving away skateboards and longboards. One of the kids I helped got a complete element skateboard with trucks wheels and everything. It was a blast.

We have also been helping the members install a snow-melt system on the roof of our building, it's been fun. And the work is going fast!

The missionary work has been picking up as well. Our teaching pool has grown and we now have 6 investigators that we are working with who all show promise. Will they accept the Gospel? Only time will tell...

We have been struggling to contact some of them and to arrange times to teach them because of their jobs. People here work odd shifts, 12 hour days for one week straight from 6 to 6, in a week-on, week-off schedule, swapping night and day shifts. OR they work over at the cannery and are super busy anytime there are fish coming in!

You talked about that guy that grandpa's friend knows helping people make $10,000 in 10 days, that is like every single summer job in Alaska! I am seriously contemplating coming back to Valdez the summer after my mission because I could get a job as as a deckhand on a seiner (a fishing boat) and make between $20,000 to $40,000 working July through August. That is a very conservative estimate too! This year most of the people are making almost $60,000 per person on most of the boats.

So I sent a few packages home, you should be getting them soon. I put some of the salmon that I smoked in there for you guys!

I'm pretty jealous of the brothers getting to go to Inconnu.... but no worries! (Haha) I get to live the dream for the next few years! They are going to have a blast! I had forgotten how much fun fishing was, before I came up here.

Life is going pretty well here overall. I love this city and I really love Alaska! I am so grateful that the Lord chose me to serve here! It's like getting picked for the winning team! Epic snowfall in the winter, epic fishing in the summer... Alaska is the only place where you could use "Epic" to describe almost everything and it would still be a gross understatement!

I miss you guys! I miss my brothers tons! I saw the pictures of Bryson and the girls in the newsletter and initially thought "Balla!!!" till I realized it was my cousins..... Hahah, it's so weird to see how everyone has grown up!

Well I love you all! And I hope for the best for you!

God be with you till we meet again!

Elder Winterrose

No comments:

Post a Comment